[Windows SIG] Microsoft's Windows 8 upgrade promotion really is ending on January 31 | ZDNet

Dwight Brooks dbfree01 at ausdbs.com
Thu Jan 24 10:44:26 EST 2013

http://www.zdnet.com/microsofts-windows-8-upgrade-promotion-really-is-ending-on-january-31-7000010025/?s_cid=e589

FYI:

To buy the upgrade, you have to run  the MS Upgrade Assistant program and
fix the problems it finds.

I had problems getting the first step done.  The program had a fault
starting and crashed while running.  I called the store to see to see what
purchase options there were considering the program would not run.  They
connected me to MS Support for free upgrade help.  This is normally a $99
help call.

Tech logged onto my machine & got me through that step.  It took well over
an hour.  Maybe over two. I bought the upgrade key and downloaded the
upgrade.  Today I call them back and they will install it on my box.
 Normally I would do this myself, but the offer for them to get it done and
past the inevitable problems is irresistible.

MS Tech support said Windows 8 should run on ANY computer running Windows
XP SP3 and above.